What is a Menstrual Cup?
The cup collects fluids instead of absorbing them like other sanitary products – up to 3 times more in fact! When the cup is full, it is simply emptied, rinsed with water and reinserted.
Unlike tampons, the menstrual cup does not absorb all vaginal fluids or leave behind any fibres – keeping your vagina healthy and happy and lowering the risk of infection.
What is the SELENACUP?
An Austrian-quality product, the SELENACUP is made from medical-grade silicone – hypoallergenic and free from latex, dyes, perfumes, BPA, plastic, phtalates, bleaches and other toxins. Conventional pads and tampons are made using bleached cotton, rayon, polyester and various perfumes.
The SELENACUP is convenient and easy to use. You can’t see it, you can’t feel it and if cared for correctly, it can be reused for many years – great both for the environment and your wallet.
One SELENACUP pack contains:
- 1 SELENACUP menstrual cup
- 1 SELENACUP cleaning container
- 1 SELENACUP cotton carrying pouch
- 1 SELENACUP instruction
How does the SELENACUP work?
The application is quite simple. Wash your hands, then fold the SELENACUP and lead the folded side into the vagina. You can do this whilst, for example, sitting down on the toilet, standing with one leg on the bathtub, or
crouching. The SELENACUP should be worn as low as it can comfortably sit without you feeling it. Whether you insert it further up the cervix or slightly lower, is a matter of taste. In any case, you should still be able to reach your SELENACUP to be able remove it.
Try turning the SELENACUP a little by the grooves below after inserting it to ensure that it has unfolded and can form a seal.
You’ll find the folding technique and position best suited to you after 2 or 3 periods at the latest. Water or silicone-friendly lubricant can facilitate the insertion.
Photo: Folding methods: C-Fold / S-Fold / Punchdown-Fold
Do not be discouraged if it does not work right away. Every body is different and practice is everything. The right size of SELENACUP can also impact comfort. For more information, see the FAQs.
With help of the pelvic floor muscels as well as the resulting vacuum, the cup can not slip and thus cause blood leakage. SELENACUP can be used during the day and at night. You should empty it after 12 hours at the latest.
To remove your SELENACUP you have to release the seal at first. Wash your hand, than whilst squatting our sitting on the toilet eighter remove the seal by hooking in one finger in the upper ring or by squeezing the base of your SELENACUP with your index finger and thumb.
It should come out without any effort. If you feel a resistance or ‘pull’, the seal has not been released.
Empty the contets of your cup into the toilet or sink.
During your period, it is enough to wash the SC with water and pH- neutral soap. If you are on a public toilet, you can wipe the SELENACUP with toilet paper and a small amount of water from a water bottle you brought along. In other cases, you can use your urine which is usally sterile and thus very suitable. After its purchase and before each period, the SELENACUP should be cleaned more thoroughly. Insert the SELENACUP into the enclosed cleaning container, fill it with water, place the lid loosely on it and set it in the microwave for 2-3 minutes at 800-1000 watts. You can also sterilize the SC in a pot. Bring plenty of water to a boil on the stove and let boil for 2-3 minutes. Make sure that the SELENACUP is not at the bottom of the pot when it is boiling as this can damage it. You can, for example, put the cup into a whisk. Do not leave the pot unattended.
For discoloration, tooth tablets may be used. Place the SELENACUP in a cup of water with the tablets overnight and then rinse well with water afterwards.
The small holes on the rim can be cleaned with clean interdental brushes. If you live in an area with very calcareous water, you can put a drop of vinegar into the water. This stops any lime scale forming on the cup.
Always make sure you keep the cup as clean as
possible, so the vaginal flora remains in equilibrium.
Store your SELENACUP in the breathable carrying pouch. It is made from cotton and allows air to circulate.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS
- The SELENACUP provides up to 12 hours of safe protection and therefore does not need to be changed as frequently as a pad or tampon.
- As it is reusable, the SELENACUP is significantly cheaper than pads or tampons. After 4 months, the purchase price is paid for and the cup can be used for several years when maintained properly.
- The SELENACUP does not cause vaginal dryness as it collects menstrual liquids rather than absorbing them. The sensitive vaginal flora remains in an equilibrium and is thus less prone to fungi and other bacterial infections.
- The cup is easy to use on lighter period days and can be inserted a few hours before the start of your period.
- By using the SELENACUP you dramatically reduce the monthly waste you produce and thus your impact on the environment.
- On the go and on your travels, you can avoid being unprepared when your period arrives as you can always carry your SELENACUP with you without having to dispose of it.
- There are less unpleasant odors with the use of the SELENACUP as the menstrual fluid does not leave the body like in the case of pads.
- The SELENACUP holds tight whilst swimming and thus does not allow the entry of germs and bacteria as is the case with tampons.
- The pelvic floor muscles are trained when the SELENACUP is in use, as it is held in position by the musculature but without any effort or feeling to its user.
- Women have reported less menstrual cramping and discomfort through the use of the SELENACUP.